Share. Print. Save.
Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on print

What Can a Parent or Coach Do If They Suspect Athletic Energy Deficit?

Parents should contact their family doctor immediately if they think their child has Athletic Energy Deficit (AED). The doctor may refer them to a nutritionist or other specialist in behavioral therapy. In some cases, successful treatment may only require a relatively modest reduction in exercise, improved nutrition and a small increase in body weight.

Coaches who are aware of possible AED symptoms — insufficient caloric intake, low weight, menstrual irregularity, stress fractures — should not hesitate to contact their athlete’s parents and tell them about AED and its health risks.

Parents and Coaches Beware

There are many health benefits associated with regular exercise or athletic competition, as long as athletes fuel their bodies with proper nutrition and rest to stay healthy and strong.

Download>> Parents and Coaches Beware: Are Your Girls Coming Up Short?

Posted: 9/29/2016; Revised: 02/19/20. 
As a service to our readers, American Bone Health provides access to our library of archived content. Please note the date of the last review on all articles. No content on this site, regardless of date, should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinician

Subscribe & Follow
Stay up to date on events & the latest in bone health

Calculate Your Risk

The American Bone Health Fracture Risk Calculator™ estimates fracture risk for women and men over age 45.

Related Articles